Archive for January, 2013

MangAI v1.09 released

January 11th, 2013 No comments

New to version 1.09:
-Bug fix: Missing code during final MangAI packaging
One of the final steps of packaging MangAI is code shrinking to remove unused and unnecessary code. Unfortunately, the shrinker I was using was removing code that appeared to be useless but was important.
I’m not sure which algorithms were affected by this. At the very least, string chapter detection (e.g. v1cb1) was not working as well as it could.
This has been fixed.
-AI improvements to MPM
Better automatic conflict resolution, especially for conflicts between lettered chapters.
-Added more ereader .properties settings profiles
Settings profiles now available for:

  • phone (mobile phone)

Some of the latest mobile phones can make for decent manga readers. The experience is nothing like reading on a larger tablet, but still nice if you can’t always carry your tablet with you.
The phone settings profile leaves scans at their original resolution for improved pinch zooming. White space is chopped to fit more content on screen.
If on a phone, I recommend reading in landscape (i.e. hold phone sideways, the full width of the scan fills the height of the phone, scroll up/down to read).

Download the latest version from the MangAI project page.

Categories: MangAI, Projects

Ramblings #5: 21st century pocket

January 7th, 2013 1 comment

Murray 2013 everyone!

So I finally got to upgrade from my 5+ year old Samsung flip-style unsmart phone to an iPhone 5 (quite the step up ^^). Of course one of the first things I tried out was manga on a phone screen. The experience is better than expected. I’ve only tested a few series so far, but vertical scrolling in landscape mode (i.e. hold phone in landscape, width of page fills full height of screen and you scroll down to read) seems to be the way to go. The extra height on the new iPhone 5 screen is a big help for manga.

Please leave a comment if you are interested in reading manga on your phone. I can look into adding default profile settings in the next MangAI update.

Speaking of MangAI, I’m working on an update right now to fix a very weird bug. Apparently, when I pass my code through an obfuscator for final packaging, something is getting messed up. I noticed while processing some test manga for my new iPhone that some string chapters (e.g. chapter b1) were not being properly recognized. The unobfuscated code, on the other hand, works perfectly. This probably won’t be the easiest problem to track down, but I’ll release a fix as soon as its ready.

Categories: General, MangAI, Projects